Your smile has one major enemy and that is acid as it forms into plaque and calculus on your teeth and around the gumline. This soft, sticky film contains millions of bacteria which can lead to gum disease, loose teeth, and bad breath if it is not removed every day. To show your smile some love this Thanksgiving, incorporate these six tips into your oral care routine:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes after every meal and snack.
- Use ADA-approved products to ensure safety and effectiveness. If you are prone to gum disease, it may help to use an electric toothbrush with smaller heads to remove plaque. Flossing removes plaque, not just food particles.
- Fluoride toothpaste can strengthen your enamel.
- Don’t forget to floss at least once a day. Flossing removes plaque in between the teeth and under the gumline.
- If you have oral health issues, you might use an antimicrobial mouth rinse once a day.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year to remove hardened tartar, and to check for tooth decay and gum disease.
As you can see, it’s really not that hard to maintain your hard-earned smile. If it is time to schedule your next dental cleaning and checkup, please call 919-762-3239 today. Dr. Kristen Langworthy at Langworthy Family Dentistry in Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, wish you a healthy, happy, Thanksgiving holiday!